By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Stryker (SYK) pulled back after running hard in January, and now the bulls are looking for more upside.
OptionMonster's tracking systems showed the purchase of some 2,100 March 65 calls for 60 cents. Volume was more than triple previous open interest at the strike.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, so they have the potential to generate significant leverage in the event of a rally. But these options also will become worthless if the stock doesn't move by the mid-March expiration.Stryker's shares rose 0.19% to $63.90 Monday and are up 17% so far in 2013. The maker of replacement joints issued a strong preliminary earnings report on Jan. 9, then beat those estimates when final numbers were released two weeks later. Total option volume was twice the daily average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 31-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in SYK.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV