In all there's 18 companies that have been able to do this over the long haul. Actually, there's more, but there's only 18 that have been able to reduce their DPR at a 5% compound annual growth rate. Here they are in all their glory.
Remember, though, decreasing the payout ratio is only one half of the trick. Untouchables must increase their cash dividend, by a lot. By "a lot," I mean at a double-digit compound annual growth rate. Double digits might be a tad harsh on my part, since a 7% compound annual growth rate will double a long-term investor's yield in 10 years (less if they reinvest). Applying this "harsh" criteria, yields (no pun intended) the following list of Untouchables.
For the GMG Defensive Beta Fund (MPDAX), of which I am the co-portfolio manager, we own Monsanto (MON), Deere (DE), Caterpillar (CAT), Disney (DIS) and Exxon (XOM). A note of caution to would-be Untouchable finders out there. Across a variety of financial databases we subscribe to, we found complete 10-year dividend data on just 133 of the 500 companies that comprise the S&P 500. Companies with incomplete data were left out of my analysis. Many of them, probably, should have been because they missed making dividend payments. But incomplete data could also stem from mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and the like. This means looking carefully and piecing together data might lead to a larger list of Untouchable Dividend Payers. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV