It could take "months and months" for the FAA to complete its 787 review and allow the airplane to fly again, former NTSB member John Goglia said in an interview Monday. "We just don't know enough," Goglia said. "We know that the battery overheated; it reaches a critical point and then it gets to 'thermal runaway.' That could be caused by a short circuit in the battery or by external factors. That's the problem, trying to identify the cause."
In his note, Solomon wrote: "This process will take more time, something that does not work in Boeing's favor. The longer it takes to identify the factors behind the battery failure and the systems designed to protect against fire, the longer it will take to implement satisfactory safeguards to prevent a recurrence."
Solomon called six months "an inflection point."
He would be troubled, he said, "once you get past six months of not having some resolution and not knowing it won't cause billions of dollars to fix." At that point, a perception of credit risk could lead to a negative outlook, rather than just a perception that a particular event is credit negative.Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV