Apple's Not a Hardware Company: Live Blog Recap
Cook touched on Apple's $137 billion cash hoard, which came under attack last week from hedge fund manager David Einhorn. Einhorn sued Apple, asking shareholders to fight against the company. He's put out a letter asking shareholders to vote against Apple's proposal (Proposal 2) to do away with preferred stock, which he says restricts "the Board's ability to unlock the value on Apple's balance sheet." Cook called the lawsuit "a silly sideshow."
The CEO also outlined the company's fiscal philosophy. "Apple doesn't have a Depression-era mentality. Apple makes bold and ambitious bets on products, and we're conservative financially," Cook said during the conference. He also noted that Apple's "seriously considering" proposals from Greenlight, as well as other shareholders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV