- More than four out of five casual-dining consumers say they visit fast-casual (85 percent) and traditional casual-dining restaurants (82 percent) at least once a month, and 40 percent of casual-dining consumers visit upscale casual-dining restaurants just as often.
- Consumers' fast-casual and traditional casual-dining visits appear to be cutting into fast-food and upscale casual-dining visits, as consumers trade up from quick service and trade down from upscale casual-dining restaurants to these locations.
- Compared to two years ago, consumers today are more likely to visit casual-dining restaurants for a variety of occasions—including, but not limited to, routine lunches, everyday occasions, special occasions and meals with colleagues and family members.
- In an effort to compete with quick-service restaurants, leading fast-casual brands have expanded breakfast offerings by 31 percent since 2011; however, there's still plenty of opportunity as just 31 percent of leading fast-casual restaurants offer breakfast.
- A third of consumers say they are ordering from the healthy menu more often than they did a year ago at fast casual (36 percent) and traditional (34 percent) casual-dining restaurants, but just 27 percent of consumers say the same for upscale casual-dining restaurants.
- While price is a major deterrent for some upscale casual-dining consumers, 41 percent of consumers indicate that meals at these locations are worth the price because of the overall dining experience.
Casual Dining Shows Signs Of Life-but New Challenges Arise, Finds Technomic
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.