BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The fourth quarter findings from the Randstad Healthcare Employee Confidence Index reveals that healthcare workers are more confident in nearly all aspects surveyed, including strength of the economy and availability of jobs. In addition, U.S. healthcare workers are much more likely to look for a new job compared to the third quarter of 2012. The online survey, conducted in October through December, 2012 by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad Healthcare, showed that overall employee confidence rose by 4.1 points to 57.5 in the fourth quarter. The survey of 299 workers included physicians, healthcare administrators and other healthcare professionals.
"Given the latest findings of our Healthcare Employee Confidence Index, it appears much of the anxiety around the fiscal cliff concerns have all but dissipated as we enter 2013," said Steve McMahan, executive vice president of Randstad US, Professionals. "The healthcare employment market has exhibited strong growth in the past months, adding 23,000 jobs in January and rising 320,000 over the year. The long-term outlook for the industry is equally as promising. Specifically, physicians in urgent care and those with specialization in anti-aging medicine are in high demand, as are registered nurses in both permanent and temporary positions. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of registered nurses is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations, with 26 percent gains from 2010 to 2020."
This year, many hospitals will be focused on cost containment and efficiency as they navigate compliance with recent changes in healthcare reform. The temporary nursing industry will be a key strategy for these healthcare organizations to increase their supply of nursing talent and new demands without sacrificing patient outcomes. In a study released in December by the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, which examined data from more than 1.3 million patients and 40,000 nurses in more than 600 hospitals, researchers from the university concluded that hiring temporary nurses immediately increases the nurse-to-patient ration—which correlates directly to decreased patient mortality rates.
Healthcare Workers Believe More Jobs Are Available
- The number of healthcare workers who believe there are more jobs available increased by nine percentage points to reach 22 percent, up from 13 percent in the third quarter of 2012. Less than half of healthcare workers surveyed (45 percent) believe there are fewer job opportunities available, a decline of nine percentage points compared to the previous quarter.
- Nearly one-third (31 percent) of healthcare workers say they are likely to look for a new job in the next 12 months. This represents an increase of eight percentage points from Q3 2012.
- More than half of healthcare workers surveyed (58 percent) indicated they are confident they could find a job in the next 12 months. This reflects an increase from 55 percent in the previous quarter.
- A majority of healthcare workers (62 percent) feel confident in the future of their company. This number declined slightly by six percentage points from the third quarter.
- Just under three-in-ten (29 percent) healthcare workers say the economy is getting stronger this quarter, an increase of nine percentage points compared to Q3 2012. Forty-one percent of healthcare workers believe the economy is weakening, a decrease of three percentage points from last quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV