University Of Tennessee Psychologists Offer Five Tips For Healthy Relationships
KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As Valentine's Day is just around the corner, romantic relationships are on many of our minds. Experts at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, are offering tips to ensure relationships stay healthy and strong.
"Couples find over time the romance can fade and even the best relationships can struggle a bit," said Kristina Gordon, professor of psychology and director of RelationshipRx, a project seeking to make it easier for couples to take good care of their relationship health.
According to those at RelationshipRx, there are some easy steps people can take to build more intimacy and strengthen their relationships on a daily basis.
1. Take a Trip Down Memory Lane: Reminisce on how you first got together."With all the different stressors and issues couples face, it is easy to forget what brought you together in the first place," said Gordon. "What attracted you to your partner? What were your first impressions of each other?" Gordon says remembering these times can easily rekindle those initial loving feelings. 2. Learn to Listen: According Gordon, it is important to listen to your partner completely and non-judgmentally. "Many people get caught up in trying to think of their response rather than listening," she said. "Make sure to avoid that trap. Couples who are skilled at providing each other with social support have been shown to be healthier and happier than less skilled couples." 3. Draw Love Maps: Couples research shows partners can feel closer and more intimate by taking as little as five extra minutes a day to create something called "love maps," said Gordon. "At the beginning of the day, share what your day will be like," said Gordon. "This way, during the day, you can think about your partner and appreciate what his or her day must be like."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts