But here's the biggest news of all.
The key biomass technology pursued by KiOR (KIOR) in Mississippi, called Biomass Fluid Catalytic Cracking, or BFCC, could soon produce usable refinery inputs for less than the marginal cost of production for fracked oil, BiofuelsDigest writes.
It's this "compression spread" that has scientists at Texas A&M predicting East Texas will soon become "the Saudi Arabia for biofuels crop production," as reported in the Liberty County Vindicator. The process for turning biomass of all kinds into usable refinery feedstocks is coming into view.
All of this means that real energy abundance is here, it's growing and the link between oil prices and economic growth may finally be broken. The oil business won't be replaced, only its feedstocks, while the price of hydrocarbons is going to have to match the cost of getting energy from the wind or the sun, or what we can plant in the ground.We need to get on the right side of this global trade. That means putting money into infrastructure to get current production the best price. But it also means finding a way to account for the external costs of that production in order to make sure the benefits of growing renewable abundance also come to America. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV