Food processing firm ConAgra Foods (CAG) has performed around double what the rest of the market has managed in 2013, climbing more than 13% year-to-date as food commodity costs settle. CAG owns a portfolio of well-known food and kitchen product brands, such as Parkay, Healthy Choice and Chef Boyardee -- and relying on those brands has been CAG's saving grace in this market.
While the firm got hit hard by consumers' willingness to trade down to store brands during the recession, it's enjoying the counter-cycle right now. CAG took the recession as an opportunity to shake out its less defensible brands and focus on the higher-margin labels in its portfolio. That more attractive positioning should make ConAgra better able to withstand future economic hiccups down the road. It should also calm at least some concerns over rising input costs - stronger brands let CAG pass some of those costs onto customers.CAG currently sports a decent balance sheet and a hefty dividend payout, two factors that look attractive in the exceptionally low-rate environment that investors are currently stuck in. The firm's next earnings call in March could be a big catalyst for shares. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV