BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- 3.11%. That's how much stands in between the S&P 500 and new all-time highs for the big index. We may only be inching closer to that number, but the fact that we're only one or two moderately bullish trading weeks away from pushing up the S&P's high water mark shouldn't be ignored.
After last week's sideways consolidation in stocks, the S&P is entering this week coming off of a rest -- a healthy pause in a rally that's been in force since the start of last summer. For that reason, the big index is likely to have an easier time finding bids at higher levels in today's session, even as earnings season adds some fundamental headline risk to the equation.
To take full advantage, we're zooming in on five new Rocket Stock names this week.For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 187 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 76.86%. >>5 Stocks Charts You Need to See Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV