Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: IRWD) today announced the promotion of Mark Currie, Ph.D. to senior vice president, chief scientific officer (CSO), and president of research and development (R&D).
Mark Currie, Ph.D., senior vice president, CSO, and president of R&D of Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Photo: Business Wire)
“Mark’s outstanding contributions to Ironwood, including his expertise, leadership and superb judgment, are invaluable as we move our R&D efforts forward, growing our active pipeline and expanding our development efforts globally on behalf of our shareholders and the patients we aim to serve,” said Peter Hecht, chief executive officer of Ironwood. “Mark’s pioneering academic research on the guanylate cyclase-C (GC-C) pathway, including his discovery of the natural hormones that activate GC-C, established the foundation for the discovery of linaclotide by Ironwood scientists, and he has led every aspect of linaclotide’s development and regulatory review, resulting in LINZESS™ (linaclotide) being the first and only GC‐C agonist approved in the U.S., Constella ® (linaclotide) being the first therapy approved for patients with IBS-C in Europe, and linaclotide development programs advancing in Japan and China.”
Dr. Currie has led the company’s R&D efforts since he joined Ironwood in 2002 and previously served as senior vice president, R&D and CSO at Ironwood. Prior to that, he directed cardiovascular and central nervous system disease research as vice president of discovery research at Sepracor Inc. Previously, Dr. Currie initiated, built, and led discovery pharmacology and also served as director of arthritis and inflammation at Monsanto Company. Dr. Currie earned a B.S. in biology from the University of South Alabama and holds a Ph.D. in cell biology from the Bowman-Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV