- Contact your independent insurance agent immediately: Your agent is a valuable resource for protecting your belongings. Let your agent know that you are now in possession of a piece of jewelry. Find out how much coverage you have and if additional insurance is needed.
- Have the item appraised: Heirlooms and antique jewelry will need to be appraised for their dollar value. Ask your independent agent for recommendations regarding a reputable appraiser.
- Keep a copy of the store receipt: Forward a copy of the receipt to your insurer so that the company knows the current retail value of the item. Make sure to keep a copy for yourself.
- Know who is responsible: If you receive an engagement ring, be sure to check with your independent agent to see whose insurance policy should carry the coverage in case of a loss – the purchaser or the recipient.
- Add the item to your home inventory: Everyone should have an up-to-date inventory of their personal possessions. An inventory can help you purchase the correct amount of insurance and speed up the claims process if there is a loss.
- Take a picture of the item: Get into the habit of keeping a visual record of all of your personal possessions. This helps to document your loss and speed up the claims process. It is also useful to document antique and unusual pieces of jewelry.
- Keep the item in a secure location: Always make sure to store your jewelry in a secure location, especially if you will be away from your home for a while. If you do not plan to wear the item regularly, consider keeping it in a safe deposit box.
The Hanover Insurance Group Offers Seven Ways To Protect Generous Gifts From Your Sweetheart This Valentine's Day
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts