LONDON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- FICO (NYSE:FICO), the leading provider of analytics and decision management technology, today released data showing that card issuers using FICO® Falcon® Fraud Manager have dramatically cut card-not-present (CNP) fraud losses from credit cards over the last two years, from £28 million in April 2010 to less than £12 million in March 2012. CNP fraud, which includes illegitimate online, mail order and phone transactions, is the most prevalent type of card fraud, accounting for about three-quarters of card fraud in the FICO ® Falcon ® Fraud Consortium for Europe, which includes 44 million active credit cards.
"CNP fraud is now the top focus for card fraud across the region, as issuers look for new technology and best practices to stop the most widespread form of card fraud," said Martin Warwick, FICO's Fraud Chief in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. "FICO's advanced fraud technology is enabling users to outperform the market. For comparison, industry-wide figures from Euromonitor show only modest declines in CNP fraud from 2010 to 2011, with the largest fall at just 6 percent in the UK."
CNP fraud was behind 72 percent of all accounts victimized by fraud and 74 percent of all card fraud losses in the FICO Falcon Fraud Consortium. This was higher than in last year's data, where the figures were 69 percent and 72 percent, respectively."Criminals are migrating to the easiest way of using compromised cards, which today is the internet," said Warwick. "For example, fraud as a percentage of internet sales in the UK is 22 basis points (0.22 percent), which is double the rate for credit card transactions overall. In addition, 3D Secure protocols are moving the liability on losses from the retailer to the issuer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV