When I lived in San Francisco there was no such thing as City Target. We -- and pretty much everyone around us -- made regular pilgrimages to the Target big box in Daly City, a suburb south of San Francisco. These new City Targets might cannibalize some business from Daly City, but probably not enough to matter.
While I always opt on the side of innovation, I do understand that Target wants to give these former Daly City shoppers what they expect at the new urban stores. Get too cute and you can scare people right back to the 'burbs for the weekly Target run.
Three -- We likely will not get it, but I want to see a breakdown of City Target versus regular Target sales. For instance, what has happened to the Daly City store since the Downtown SF City Target opened? And, when City Target opens at the old Mervyn's site, what will happen, sale-wise, if anything, to nearby locations?
On average, SuperTargets take up the most square footage at 177,291 apiece. Expanded food stores come in at 129,281 per. General merchandise stores run 119,084 square feet each. And CityTargets are not too far behind thus far at 102,800 square feet per location. Once inside you really cannot tell the difference between the stores, with SuperTarget the obvious exception.I probably shouldn't expect a run-of-the-mill retailer like Target to do anything but mail it in. It knows it can drive revenue in places like San Francisco. So, at least from today's perspective, it sees no reason to break ground on anything but smaller stores. That's disappointing. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV