Ibrahim added, “We hit the ground running in 2013 with $4 billion of new business written in January and another decline in our delinquent loan inventory, which better positions Radian for a return to operating profitability.”
CAPITAL AND LIQUIDITY UPDATE
- Radian Guaranty’s risk-to-capital ratio was 20.8:1 as of December 31, 2012, compared to 20.1:1 as of September 30, 2012, and 21.5:1 as of December 31, 2011.
- The change in the risk-to-capital ratio from September 30, 2012, was primarily driven by operating losses and an increase to the company’s gross risk in force resulting from strong, new mortgage insurance business volume, partially offset by external and intercompany reinsurance which decreased net risk in force.
- The company expects to remain below a 25:1 risk-to-capital ratio through 2013 including, if necessary, by contributing from currently available holding company funds.
- In order to proactively manage its risk-to-capital position, Radian Guaranty entered into two quota share reinsurance agreements in 2012 with the same third-party reinsurance provider. As of December 31, 2012, a total of $1.9 billion was ceded under those agreements.
- The company also managed risk to capital through a new intercompany reinsurance agreement, which reduced Radian Guaranty’s net risk in force by $2.6 billion in the fourth quarter.
- As of December 31, 2012, Radian Guaranty’s statutory capital was $926 million compared to $843 million a year ago.
- Radian Group maintains approximately $336 million of currently available liquidity, before the repayment this month of $79 million of outstanding debt. After completion of the company’s debt exchange in January, the company has approximately $55 million of outstanding debt due in June 2015, with the balance of debt maturing in 2017.
FOURTH QUARTER AND FULL YEAR HIGHLIGHTS
- New mortgage insurance written (NIW) was $11.7 billion for the quarter, compared to $10.6 billion in the third quarter of 2012 and $6.5 billion in the prior-year quarter. Radian wrote an additional $4 billion in NIW in January 2013, compared to $2 billion in January 2012.
- The product mix of Radian’s NIW in 2012 shifted to an increased level of monthly premium business. Of the $37.1 billion in new business written in 2012, 65 percent was written with monthly premiums and 35 percent with single premiums. This compares to a mix of 59 percent monthly premiums and 41 percent single premiums in 2011.
- The Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) accounted for $2.9 billion of insurance not included in Radian Guaranty’s NIW total for the quarter. This compares to $2.7 billion in the third quarter of 2012 and $0.7 billion in the prior-year quarter. As of December 31, 2012, approximately 9 percent of the company’s total primary mortgage insurance risk in force had successfully completed a HARP refinance.
- NIW continued to consist of loans with excellent risk characteristics, with 76 percent consisting of loans with FICO scores of 740 or greater.
- The mortgage insurance provision for losses was $306.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to $171.8 million in the third quarter and $333.3 million in the prior-year period. Mortgage insurance loss reserves were approximately $3.1 billion as of December 31, 2012, which was up slightly from $3.0 billion as of September 30, 2012, and down from $3.2 billion as of December 31, 2011. First-lien reserves per primary default were $29,510 as of December 31, 2012, compared to $28,561 as of September 30, 2012, and $26,007 as of December 31, 2011.
- The total number of primary delinquent loans decreased by 2 percent in the fourth quarter from the third quarter of 2012, and by 16 percent from the fourth quarter of 2011. In addition, the total number of primary delinquent loans decreased by 2 percent in January. The primary mortgage insurance delinquency rate decreased to 12.1 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to 12.6 percent in the third quarter and 15.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011. The company’s primary risk in force on defaulted loans was $4.3 billion in the fourth quarter, compared to $4.4 billion in the third quarter and $5.2 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Total mortgage insurance claims paid were $263.4 million in the fourth quarter, compared to $272.4 million in the third quarter and $291.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. The company expects mortgage insurance net claims paid for the full-year 2013 of $900 million to $1.0 billion.
- Radian Asset Assurance Inc. continues to serve as an important source of capital support for Radian Guaranty and is expected to continue to provide Radian Guaranty with dividends over time.
- As of December 31, 2012, Radian Asset had approximately $1.1 billion in statutory surplus with an additional $700 million in claims-paying resources.
- In November, Radian Asset agreed to the commutation of its remaining reinsurance risk from Financial Guaranty Insurance Corporation (FGIC), which reduced the company’s total reinsurance portfolio by 13 percent. The commutation of the $822 million reinsurance portfolio was completed in January 2013.
- Last week, Radian Asset received regulatory approval to release $61 million of contingency reserves, which will benefit Radian Guaranty's statutory capital position. The reserve release was based on a reduction in Radian Asset’s net par outstanding, resulting from the maturing of exposures and other terminations of coverage. The company had anticipated the majority of the reserve release and has included its impact in its projections of Radian Guaranty's risk-to-capital during 2013.
- Radian Asset has paid a total of $384 million in dividends to Radian Guaranty since 2008, and expects to pay another dividend of approximately $35 million in 2013.
- Since June 30, 2008, Radian Asset has successfully reduced its total net par exposure by 71 percent to $33.7 billion as of December 31, 2012, including large declines in many of the riskier segments of the portfolio.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts