NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Tuesday, Feb. 12:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were pointing to losses on Wall Street Tuesday as European shares slipped and Japanese stocks soared on a weaker yen.
Japan's Nikkei 225 index rose 1.9% to close at 11,369.12. Most markets in Asia were closed for Lunar New Year holidays.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. Tuesday includes monthly Treasury budget data for January at 2 p.m. EST.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Monday ended lower as investors took some profits following recent strong gains in the major indices. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 22 points, or 0.16%, to 13,971. The S&P 500 lost about 1 point to 1,517. The Nasdaq declined 2 points to 3,192.
4. -- President Obama will deliver his State of the Union speech Tuesday night with the economy stronger than it was when he took office in 2009. The recovery may be slow, but companies have begun adding jobs at a moderate pace, home prices are rebounding, and car sales are picking up
5. -- North Korea conducted its third nuclear test at an underground site in the remote northeast Tuesday, making clear it was a warning to the United States. President Obama, in a statement Tuesday, said the "danger posed by North Korea's threatening activities warrants further swift and credible action by the international community. The United States will also continue to take steps necessary to defend ourselves and our allies."
6. -- U.K. bank Barclays (BCS) said Tuesday it would cut at least 3,700 jobs in a major restructuring following a series of scandals.
7. -- Coca-Cola (KO) is expected by analysts Tuesday to post fourth-quarter earnings of 44 cents a share share on revenue of $11.54 billion.
8. -- Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook is speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco on Tuesday. TheStreet will be live-blogging the event.
9. -- Film studio Lions Gate Entertainment (LGF) swung to a profit in its fiscal third quarter as revenue soared on the back of the success of the "Twilight" series finale.
10. -- Companies reporting earnings Tuesday include Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT), Avon (AVP) and McGraw-Hill (MHP).
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV