GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo., Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: AMPE), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing drugs to treat prevalent inflammatory diseases, such as osteoarthritis (OA) and diabetic macular edema (DME), announced the incorporation and initiation of operations of Luoxis Diagnostics, a subsidiary of Ampio that will initially be funded through a private placement, with Ampio maintaining approximately 80% ownership post financing. Josh Disbrow, Ampio's Chief Operating Officer, will assume the role of Chief Executive Officer of Luoxis. Details about the private placement will follow in the near future.
Ampio Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Macaluso, noted "The Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP) diagnostic device and its patent portfolio has been "carved out" to become the lead asset of Luoxis Diagnostics, an in-vitro diagnostics company focused on the development and commercialization of diagnostics utilizing the company's ORP technology platform to indicate disease severity and progression across a wide range of critical and chronic illnesses. The ORP platform is a valuable asset in which the development of the "point-of-care" reader and disposable testing strips have been completed and multiple clinical trials with stored blood samples from patients with various diseases are underway. Luoxis now needs its own management and financing to launch a comprehensive effort to assure the success of its commercial launch."
Mr. Disbrow, Luoxis's CEO, further explained the strategy "Ampio is a pharmaceutical company mainly focused on treatments for inflammatory diseases. Now, by carving out the diagnostics program and arming it with dedicated management and funding we are accomplishing two main goals that will benefit AMPIO shareholders:
- Ampio's management and resources will be totally focused on advancing our lead therapeutic compounds, Ampion™ and Optina™ through pivotal clinical trials in the United States and securing commercialization partners world-wide for the Zertane™ sexual dysfunction drug portfolio.
- A key Ampio asset, the ORP Platform, will be commercialized more rapidly to become a provider of world-class diagnostic testing systems while retaining a majority ownership of Luoxis for our existing Ampio shareholders."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts