Cheaters, Liars And Exes . . . Who Still Love Your Insurance
An ineligible person will be dropped from a health plan if the employee can't verify the relationship. Sometimes workers misunderstand the rules for eligibility and make honest mistakes. A recently divorced employee, for instance, might not realize his ex-spouse no longer qualifies as a dependent on the health plan. But if the management finds you purposely misled your employer to get benefits for someone you knew didn't belong on the plan, then further action might be taken.
"That could lead to losing your own health insurance coverage or even termination of employment, depending on the employer's perception of whether that was a fraudulent event," Borgos says.
3. Can my ex take out a life insurance policy on me?
"In almost all scenarios, if someone will suffer financially when you die, they are eligible to take out a life insurance policy" on you, says Marvin Feldman, president and CEO of The LIFE Foundation.
For example, if your ex benefits from your child support or alimony and can prove he or she would be financially affected if you died, then your ex is entitled to coverage, he says.But no one can secretly take out a life insurance policy on you. You have to provide your health history to the life insurance company and sign the insurance application. Here's more on the hurdles to taking out a secret life insurance policy.
4. I'm going to file for divorce -- can I kick my wife off my health plan without telling her?You wouldn't be alone in trying. "Individuals act selfishly and adversarial at times and drop spouses from health insurance," says Lili Vasileff, president of the Association of Divorce Financial Planners and president of Divorce & Money Matters LLC. Outside of your employer's open enrollment period, you can't remove a spouse from your health plan unless you become legally divorced. But after divorce proceedings begin court orders typically go into effect to prevent spouses from taking revenge on each other.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV