It also remains my view that
With inflation running low, sales and profits will be challenged. Business pricing power is limited, but costs are likely to trend higher (raw materials, interest rates, etc.). Meanwhile, productivity is starting to decline -- it was down -2% in fourth quarter 2012 -- and wage rates are rising. This spells a threat to unprecedented high profit margins, which are not likely to be stable (as many prognosticators expect) but are more likely to mean revert (over the many years ahead).
Bulls look at the slight beat from (modest) expectations in fourth quarter 2012 S&P 500 results thus far; I prefer to look forward rather than in the rearview mirror.
As I previously wrote, last month about 56 companies in the S&P 500 issued first-quarter 2013 earnings guidance: 45 were negative, and 11 were positive. That rate of negative guidance (80%) is the worst since FactSet started to keep these numbers (in 2006) and above the previous high established in last year's third quarter (74%).I remain net short. Position: Short SPY
Originally published on Friday, Feb. 5 at 11:40 a.m. EST. My biggest long and short plays over the past week:
My largest equity long purchase in the last week --
(NWBI - Get Report).
My largest new equity long purchase in the last week --
(AAPL - Get Report).
My largest equity short sale in the last week --
My largest new equity short sale in the last week --
My largest index long purchase in the last week -- none.
My largest index short sale in the last week --
iShares Russell 2000 Index Fund
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV