Manheim Consulting Releases Annual Used Car Market Report
ATLANTA, Feb. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Virtually all segments of the U.S. automotive industry achieved stellar results in 2012 and the prospects for a bright 2013 look equally good, despite the sluggish overall economy, concludes Manheim Chief Economist Tom Webb in Manheim's 2013 Used Car Market Report (UCMR).
In addition to commentary on industry trends in 2012 and an outlook for 2013, the 18 th annual UCMR includes in-depth looks at industry segments including dealers, rental, leasing, repossessions, fleets, and salvage. The Report, which was introduced today at the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) convention in Orlando, also includes Q&As with NADA and NIADA leaders, and an introductory letter from Manheim President Sandy Schwartz.
"Despite some tough conditions, the automotive industry continued its steady climb after difficult years in 2008 through 2010," said Schwartz. "No segment of the industry showed greater resilience than the used car market. In this year's edition of the UCMR, we offer insights about the used car industry and the many ways that remarketing continues to become more efficient and responsive to the needs of buyers and sellers in an ever-evolving marketplace."
The UCMR is available for purchase online ( www.manheim.com/consulting) in a PDF format.Among the facts and trends discussed in the UCMR: Retail Sales
- New car sales reached 14.5 million units in 2012, fully 1 million units more than the consensus forecast for the year.
- Used vehicle sales came in at 40.5 million, with dealer retail sales increasing 5 percent for the year.
- Wholesale auction volumes remained stable in 2012, with between 7.5 and 7.7 million units sold. Volumes are expected to increase by 5 percent to around 7.9 million units in 2013.
- Manheim's Used Vehicle Value Index indicated that while wholesale prices softened for the first time in three years, they remained at historically high levels.
- New units sold per dealership and Certified Pre-Owned vehicle sales both reached all-time highs.
- The percentage of auction volume accounted for by dealer consignment vehicles reached a record-share of 57 percent.
- Total rental industry revenues reached a record $23.6 billion in 2012, up 4 percent from 2011.
- Wholesale pricing for rental risk units sold at auction remained exceptionally strong.
- New lease originations increased 16 percent to 2.5 million; meanwhile, off-lease returns hit a cyclical low of 1.5 million.
- Repossession volumes were virtually unchanged in 2012, but will likely grow over the next few years due to the recent growth in originations and the easing of lending standards.
- With an increase of 7 percent, new vehicle sales into commercial fleets rose for the third consecutive year.
- Government fleet purchase increased a more modest 2 percent, but that was after falling in each of the previous four years.
- The fallout from Hurricane Sandy will put between 250,000 and 350,000 vehicles into the salvage market in the Northeast in the first four months of 2013.
- The trend of international buyers sourcing inventory from salvage auctions continued in 2012, with Manheim's ExportTrader seeing its volume increase 36 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV