SEATTLE, Feb. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, a consumer-rights law firm today announced that the firm, along with 33 state Attorneys General and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), have reached a proposed settlement with Macmillan over allegations of e-book price-fixing.
The settlement resolves claims filed by the DOJ, numerous state governments, and a class-action suit brought by Hagens Berman on behalf of a nationwide class of consumers.
The lawsuits alleged that Macmillan participated in a conspiracy to fix the price of e-books by coordinating with several of the nation's largest publishers, including HarperCollins Publishers, a subsidiary of News Corporation (NASDAQ: NWSA), Hachette Book Group, Penguin Group Inc., a subsidiary of Pearson PLC (NYSE: PSO), Simon & Schuster Inc., a subsidiary of CBS (NYSE: CBS), and Apple, Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) to suddenly switch to an agency model for selling e-books. Hagens Berman's complaint estimated that the scheme may have increased the prices of many e-books by as much as 50 percent by eliminating the ability of retailers to offer discounts.
"We were extraordinarily pleased that we could work alongside so many talented and dedicated attorneys general and the DOJ to present a unified front in dealing with Macmillan," said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman and lead counsel for the proposed class of consumers. "We look forward to moving the consumer class-action litigation forward against the remaining defendants, Penguin and Apple."Macmillan was the last of five defendant publishers to settle claims brought by the DOJ. In that case, Apple is the only remaining defendant, with a trial scheduled for June, 2013. In the consumer class-action case, Penguin and Apple have not agreed to a settlement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV