After the Department of Justice filed suit against Standard & Poor's, UBS analyst Alex Kramm said in a report that the lack of a similar lawsuit against Moody's "suggests that the DOJ could either 1) have specific evidence to make a case against MHP, or 2) MCO could be targeted at a later time." Kramm also said a lawsuit against Moody's "could take years to play out."
Piper Jaffray analyst Peter Appert on Friday reiterated his "overweight" rating on Moody's, with a price target of $59, saying in a note that "we continue to like the risk/reward of MCO shares based on strong earnings momentum, impressive secular growth prospects, fading regulatory concerns and what we believe should be manageable litigation risk."
"We believe upside in MCO shares may be limited until we get clarity over the weightiness of the DoJ's evidence against S&P and the applicability of the FIRREA rule to rating agencies," Appert wrote.
Appert also expects the legal risk to Moody's to be "manageable" because "after four years of extensive discovery the long sought 'smoking gun' that would prove fraud has failed to materialize."-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. MCO data by YCharts
Interested in more on Moody's Corp.? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV