Celgene Corporation (NASDAQ: CELG) today announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved POMALYST ® brand therapy (pomalidomide) for patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least two prior therapies including lenalidomide and bortezomib and have demonstrated disease progression on or within 60 days of completion of the last therapy.
POMALYST(R) brand therapy (Photo: Business Wire)
Approval is based on response rate. Clinical benefit, such as improvement in survival or symptoms, has not been verified.
Supporting the approval were the results of MM-002, a phase II, randomized, open-label study evaluating pomalidomide (4 mg once daily on days 1-21 of each 28-day cycle) plus low-dose dexamethasone (40 mg per day given only on Days 1, 8, 15 and 22 of each 28-day cycle for patients 75 years or younger, or 20 mg per day given only on Days 1, 8, 15 and 22 of each 28-day cycle for patients greater than 75 years of age) versus pomalidomide (4 mg once daily on days 1-21 of each 28-day cycle) alone in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma who were refractory to their last myeloma therapy and had received lenalidomide and bortezomib.
Of the 221 patients that were evaluable for response, 29.2% (95% CI 21.0, 38.5) achieved a partial response or better in the pomalidomide plus low-dose dexamethasone arm compared to 7.4% (95% CI 3.3, 14.1) in the pomalidomide-alone arm. Overall Response Rate was based on responses assessed by the Independent Review Adjudication Committee (IRAC) based on the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EMBT) criteria. The median duration of response for patients in the pomalidomide plus low-dose dexamethasone arm was 7.4 months (95% CI 5.1, 9.2) while the median has not yet been reached for the pomalidomide alone arm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV