- The most recent data shows that auto loans originated between January- November 2012 totaled $387.7 billion, a six-year high and representing nearly 46% of total consumer credit originated ( $825 billion) for that same time.
- Total number of new auto loans originated between January- November 2012 was 19.9 million, an increase of more than 11% from January- November 2011 and matching a six-year high.
- New auto loans funded in November 2012 by banks, savings and loans or credit unions increased nearly 13% over November 2011 totals (749,800 to 857,300).
- For January- November 2012, auto lending to subprime borrowers (origination risk scores less than 640) has increased more than 18% year-over-year, from 5.1 million to 6.1 million.
Equifax Reports Total Auto Loans, Balances At Highest Levels In More Than 40 Months
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.