Cuts To Large Farm Subsidies Considered As Means To Avoid Sequester
WASHINGTON, Feb. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Senate Democrats are crafting a proposal that would avoid automatic spending cuts to the federal budget through Sept. 30, 2013. Currently, cuts are slated to take effect on March 1 if Congress and the Administration cannot agree to a plan that saves revenue. The proposal would save money by cutting direct payments funded through the farm bill.
"Typically, direct payments disproportionately benefit high-income farmers and often fail to reach the surrounding rural economies," said Rev. David Beckmann, president of Bread for the World. "With dangerous cuts to vital safety-net programs looming, hefty payments to large-scale producers cannot be easily justified."
The package is expected to include both tax revenue and spending cuts, totaling approximately $84 billion in savings. Direct payments would cost the United States $4.96 billion in 2013.
"While we support cuts to large farm subsidies, we caution that any further reductions to agriculture-related programs must not increase hunger and poverty," added Beckmann. "Programs like SNAP and international food aid must be protected throughout the budget negotiations."Bread's mobilization (in 2008-2009) to shift funding from direct payments to food stamps, food aid, and other positive purposes helped to discredit direct payments. Bread for the World ( www.bread.org ) is a collective Christian voice urging our nation's decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad. SOURCE Bread for the World
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV