Greenlight Capital's Einhorn put out a letter asking shareholders to vote against Apple's proposal to do away with preferred stock, which he said restricts "the Board's ability to unlock the value on Apple's balance sheet." Apple responded in a statement, saying "as part of our review, we will thoroughly evaluate Greenlight Capital's current proposal to issue some form of preferred stock."
Apple blog Mac Rumors also highlighted speculation about what Apple may do next. Apple may release the iPhone 5S and a 5-inch iPhone 6 later this year, changing its release schedule. Apple has previously released one iPhone model per year.
Shares of Apple gained 1.71% to trade at $476.24.
LinkedIn (LNKD) shares soared 19.09% to $147.78 after the professional social network reported fourth-quarter results that blew past expectations. LinkedIn reported fourth-quarter earnings of 35 cents a share on $303.6 million in revenue, up 81% year over year. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for 19 cents a share on $279.52 million in sales. Revenue growth was aided by Talent Solutions revenue, which totaled $161 million, up 90% year over year. Talent Solutions revenue made up 53% of this quarter's sales. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company provided first-quarter guidance that exceeded Wall Street estimates. It expects revenue between $305 million and $310 million. Analysts were expecting $301.3 million in revenue. For the full year, LinkedIn expects sales between $1.41 billion and $1.44 billion. Wall Street analysts expect $1.439 billion.
Nuance Communications (NUAN) plunged 18.66% to $19.97 Friday after the voice and language company said guidance would be lower than Wall Street was expecting. For the first quarter, Nuance earned on a non-GAAP basis 35 cents a share on revenue of $492.4 million. Wall Street analysts were looking for profit of 36 cents a share on revenue of $490 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV