It's in the stuff I highlighted at the beginning of the year -- 31% ago -- when I called LNKD The Riskiest Sure Bet of 2013.
When you see a company like LinkedIn make a smart move into content -- as it did around the time it hired its executive editor, Dan Roth, from Wired and Fortune fame -- you absolutely must pay attention. I have the advantage, I guess, of knowing who Roth is because I work in the same industry. That move, though largely unreported by Wall Street analysts and the media, was big and an illustration of how the company operates across its business.
Rarely do you see the finance types hitting hard the focus of my article from earlier in the year where I translated what Weiner said on the conference call before last in response to the only question he was asked about content:
Translation: We're giving people more reasons to visit LinkedIn. Increased visits lead to greater adoption of our premium services. In other words, LinkedIn operates a stickier ecosystem today than it did six months or a year ago.
As LinkedIn becomes more useful, it, using Marissa Mayer's words with regards to Yahoo!'s (YHOO) information and entertainment platform, becomes a "daily habit" for current and prospective members, thereby increasing the likelihood that these users will click an ad or buy a premium subscription.
Generally, it's not a good idea to jump on such a massive move. Always makes sense to wait for a pullback. However, with LNKD -- especially if you're already in a profitable position -- this might be as good a time as any to buy more.Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV