Then again, Broadcom has the advantage being a parts supplier not only to Apple (AAPL), but also Samsung. This is interesting to note, because ahead of Apple's Q1 report, there were concerns about Apple's supply chain issues, which caused analysts to cut estimates.
Plus, since Apple eventually missed revenue projections, it's possible to suspect that this also impacted Broadcom's revenue to the extent of the 2% sequential decline. Then again, with Broadcom's relationship with Samsung, which is the leader in worldwide unit sales, this should have served as an offsetting scenario.
In that regard, it's disappointing that the company guided Q1 revenue lower than Street estimates $1.9 billion versus $2 billion. But chips are only one part of Broadcom's revenue stream. The company also does well in the realm of networking where one of its biggest customers includes Cisco (CSCO).
Broadcom is also involved in satellite and VoIP components as well as set-top boxes. At some point these markets should also see a slight rebound -- helping Broadcom generate more revenue beyond what it generates as a component supplier.As I noted, the stock is far from cheap, but there is considerable value left for investors who are willing to be patient. The stock can easily approach $40 by the second half of the year -- representing a 20% gain. In the meantime, the company just declared an 11 cents quarterly dividend, or 10% higher than the previous disbursement. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @rsaintvilus This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV