During the first three quarters of 2012, the Company recorded net restructuring and other special charges of $4.6 million. The charges consisted of $11.4 million in severance-related liabilities and $2.5 million in net facility-related costs primarily associated with ongoing consolidation of recent acquisitions and other operations and the termination of an executive vice president. These charges were partially offset by the reversal of previously established reserves of $5.7 million in unused severance and $3.6 million in unused facility-related costs. The Company also recorded $9.9 million in fees associated with the successful completion of its acquisition of MEDTOX Scientific, Inc. (“MEDTOX”) on July 31, 2012. As part of the Clearstone integration, the Company recorded a $6.9 million loss in other income (expense) relating to the disposal of one of its European subsidiaries. In addition, in conjunction with the liquidation of one of its joint ventures, the Company recorded a one-time increase of $2.9 million in equity method income.
For the year ended December 31, 2012, the after tax impact of these combined net charges decreased net earnings by $27.9 million and diluted earnings per share by $0.29 ($27.9 million divided by 97.4 million shares).
The Company also recorded accelerated amortization of $6.2 million related to its termination of a licensing agreement in November 2012. The after tax impact of this accelerated amortization decreased net earnings for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 by $3.8 million and diluted earnings per share by $0.04 and $0.04, respectively ($3.8 million divided by 95.3 and 97.4 million shares, respectively).
2) During the fourth quarter of 2011, the Company recorded net restructuring and other special charges of $10.6 million, consisting of $6.3 million in severance-related liabilities and $1.7 million in net facility-related costs primarily associated with integration of the Orchid Cellmark and Genzyme Genetics acquisitions as well as internal cost reduction initiatives. The charges also include a $2.6 million write-off of an uncollectible receivable from a past installment sale of one of the Company’s lab operations. The after tax impact of these charges decreased net earnings for the three months ended December 31, 2011, by $6.5 million and diluted earnings per share by $0.06 ($6.5 million divided by 101.0 million shares).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV