By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Waste Management (WM) reports earnings next week, and the bulls jumped on board Thursday.
OptionMONSTER's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 14,000 March 37 calls in volume that was well above the strike's previous open interest of just 3,323 contracts, indicating fresh buying. Premiums rose from 30 cents to 70 cents as the trades crossed, which shows a strong buying pattern.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy stock in the trash hauler, and their low cost can result in significant leverage on a percentage basis should WM make even a small move higher. But they'll also become worthless if it doesn't climb or declines.Shares of Waste Management rose 1.25% to $36.55 Thursday and are up 8% so far this year. Fourth-quarter results will be issued on Feb. 14. Total option volume was five times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by 12 to 1. Russell has no positions in WM.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV