Can Your Career Get You A Discount?
Question: I heard that car insurance companies look at your education level and occupation and that it's possible to get a discount if you have a certain type of job. Is this true? What types of occupations receive discounts? I'm trying to decide on a major and thought this would be good to know.
Answer: Yes, people in some careers will get a break on their car insurance rates or an outright discount. Is the discount big enough to switch majors for? Probably not.
If state laws allow, a driver's education and occupation may be considered as car insurance companies weigh rating factors that can help determine your annual premiums.
The occupations that receive a discount on car insurance are those that have statistically shown to be less risk to auto insurers -- typically this means the insurance company's records indicate that those working in these types of careers have filed fewer claims than those in other lines of work. (See “ 6 jobs that get car insurance discounts”)The occupations that we typically see offered an auto discount include:
- EMTs (Emergency medical technicians)
- Police officers
- Military members
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV