Can Your Career Get You A Discount?
Question: I heard that car insurance companies look at your education level and occupation and that it's possible to get a discount if you have a certain type of job. Is this true? What types of occupations receive discounts? I'm trying to decide on a major and thought this would be good to know.
Answer: Yes, people in some careers will get a break on their car insurance rates or an outright discount. Is the discount big enough to switch majors for? Probably not.
If state laws allow, a driver's education and occupation may be considered as car insurance companies weigh rating factors that can help determine your annual premiums.
The occupations that receive a discount on car insurance are those that have statistically shown to be less risk to auto insurers -- typically this means the insurance company's records indicate that those working in these types of careers have filed fewer claims than those in other lines of work. (See “6 jobs that get car insurance discounts”)The occupations that we typically see offered an auto discount include:
- EMTs (Emergency medical technicians)
- Police officers
- Military members
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV