MORRISTOWN, N.J., Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As a large-scale winter nor'easter storm gathers strength on the East Coast, Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) is mobilizing additional FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) utility crews and internal resources to assist with the restoration process should the storm impact customers' electric service.
Up to a foot of wet, heavy snow and high winds are predicted to hit parts of JCP&L's northern New Jersey service territory tomorrow and into the weekend.
"Based on current forecasts, we have activated our storm preparation and restoration process and are proactively staging additional out-of-state FirstEnergy crews in New Jersey to get them in position ahead of the snow to minimize the impact the severe weather could have on our customers," said Don Lynch, president, JCP&L. "In addition to the JCP&L personnel that are on alert, the linemen, vehicles and supplies provided by other FirstEnergy utilities will help speed the restoration process if the wet snow and winds damage our equipment and cause service interruptions."
All available JCP&L crews and support personnel will work around-the-clock, as needed, to restore service if customers are affected by the severe weather. They will be assisted by more than 100 crews and additional support personnel from FirstEnergy's Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison utilities that are expected to arrive in New Jersey today and will be ready to begin restoration work when the storm hits as forecast.Other steps JCP&L is taking to prepare for the nor'easter include:
- Securing additional tree contractors to assist with the outage restoration process
- Communicating with emergency management officials, state officials, regulators and local officials about our storm preparation efforts
- Activating staging areas for crews and equipment in locations expected to be impacted by the storm based on current predictions and modeling
- Working with mutual assistance groups to determine if outside utility crews would be available to assist in New Jersey, if needed.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts