McGraw-Hill Education Launches SRA FLEX Literacy™ To Help Struggling Students Meet The Common Core State Standards In English Language Arts
NEW YORK, Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- McGraw-Hill Education, in collaboration with MetaMetrics ®, the developer of the industry leading Lexile ® Framework for Reading, today announced the launch of SRA FLEX Literacy , a comprehensive reading and language arts intervention system for students in Grades 3–8. SRA FLEX was built from the ground up to specifically help at-risk students learn the critical reading and writing skills required to meet Common Core State Standards. The program provides teachers with unparalleled insight into students' progress through the use of the Lexile measurement system, the most widely adopted measure of reader ability and text difficulty in K-12 education.
The Common Core State Standards, which align K-12 instruction across states behind a defined set of learning expectations with the goal of preparing all high school students for success in college and their future careers, have presented a unique challenge for educators by raising the bar for student performance. This challenge is felt even more acutely among teachers of students who struggled to read and write at grade level prior to the implementation of the new, more rigorous standards.
"The 21 st century classroom contains students with incredibly varied skill levels and learning styles, and those considered to be at-risk or of lower proficiency will face even greater challenges as schools implement curricula designed to meet the Common Core State Standards," says Dan Caton, president of McGraw-Hill School Education. "With SRA FLEX, we've combined teacher-led instruction and the latest adaptive and analytic technology with collaborative learning methods to create a highly personalized learning experience with the goal of providing struggling readers and writers with the skills they need to succeed."
Comprised of three unique and flexible learning experiences – the Digital Experience, the Print Experience and the Project Experience – SRA FLEX engages students through high-interest, collaborative and interactive tools, and rich text selections.
- The Digital Experience, the backbone of the program, offers self-paced, individualized and scaffolded online lessons with activities for instruction, practice, assessment, remediation and review. The Lexile Framework guides the entire process, allowing SRA FLEX to pair each student with reading materials that match his or her reading ability perfectly, and to ensure that students are challenged in the most constructive way. In addition, the system's adaptive features enable SRA FLEX to slow down when students are struggling and accelerate when they have demonstrated mastery.
- The Print Experience offers teacher-led, small-group lessons focused on explicit reading instruction that engages students to develop comprehension, allowing at-risk students the opportunity to rise up to and interact with on-grade level texts, rather than drop down to lower level texts.
- The Project Experience uses whole-group instruction, small-group collaboration and independent writing projects to encourage students to make cross-curricular connections and ultimately support critical thinking, one of the most important pillars of the Common Core. Collectively, the program's three experiences are designed to continually motivate students with flexibility and a highly engaging user-friendly design.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts