New Survey: Westerners Link Public Lands To Economic Prosperity, Quality Of Life
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Westerners place a strong value on public lands, saying they are "essential" to their state's economy and quality of life, according to the 2013 Colorado College State of the Rockies Conservation in the West poll.
"Westerners see the permanent protection of their public lands as an economic imperative, and essential to their quality of life," said Colorado College economist and State of the Rockies Project faculty director Walt Hecox, PhD. "Decision makers would do well to take notice and cure the often one-sided tendency to pursue development rather than protection that we've seen emerge over the last four years."
This year's bipartisan survey of 2,400 Westerners, representing a cross section of the region's population, found near unanimous — 91 percent — agreement that public lands like national parks, forests, monuments and wildlife areas are an essential part of their state's economy. Further, 71 percent oppose proposals to sell off public lands, and overwhelmingly reject arguments for the sale of public lands.
Highlights from the 2013 Conservation in the West poll:
- 79 percent believe public lands support their economy and enhance their overall quality of life.
- 74 percent believe our national parks, forests, monuments, and wildlife areas help attract high quality employers and good jobs to their state.
- 71 percent believe selling off public lands to corporations for development will hurt their economy and quality of life.
- 52 percent perceive public lands to be a job creator in their state.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV