BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The S&P 500 has effectively traded flat this week -- and you can practically hear the sigh of relief from investors who've been sitting white-knuckled at their computers waiting for the worst to happen.
Here's a hint: It's not happening.
While U.S. markets are in wait-and-see mode, overseas stocks are carrying on their own recovery rallies, with Japan's Nikkei 225 up close to 2% so far this week -- and around 10% year-to-date. Over in Europe, stocks are taking a breather too, but only because they've already shoved their way to new record highs in many major indexes. Make no mistake, those factors bode well for U.S. equities to keep on keeping on.That's why we're taking a technical look at the price setups forming in five of the big names on Wall Street. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. >>5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains. >>5 Stocks Hedge Funds Love -- and So Should You
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV