SC Unemployment Agency Wants To Charge Penalty
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) â¿¿ South Carolina's unemployment agency wants to charge anyone who fraudulently receives unemployment benefits a 25 percent penalty, in addition to paying the money back.
Department of Employment and Workforce officials asked a Senate panel Wednesday for legislation that mandates a penalty higher than federal law requires.
Agency attorney Maura Dawson says Congress has required states to pass by October a law setting at least a 15 percent penalty. She says her agency would use the additional money for technology updates and to investigate and prosecute cases of unemployment fraud.
According to the agency, it recouped $9.2 million in overpayments between January and May of last year.Sue Berkowitz of Appleseed Legal Justice Center says she believes many overpayment issues are not due to fraud, but rather people not understanding the system. The federal labor department says 4 percent of South Carolina's payments were due to fraud in fiscal year 2011-12, down from 7 percent the previous year. The state's overall rate of improper payments was 14 percent in 2011-12, down from 18 percent a year earlier. The state recouped just over half of $19.5 million in overpayments during 2010-11, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. "That's something we're working diligently on," said Erica Von Nessen, the agency's unemployment insurance director. "While we can catch them, we're trying to prevent that from happening, because we know collection is difficult to do."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV