Sixty-two percent of smartphone users leverage their devices’ hotspot capabilities, an increase of nine percent since May 2012, according to a new survey of more than 700 mobile consumers in the U.S. Despite the increase in adoption, many consumers are still concerned with the cost, usability and lack of plan options available with smartphone hotspots, and carriers are missing key opportunities to monetize personal hotspots. This survey was conducted by uSamp and commissioned by wireless and mobility solutions provider Smith Micro Software, Inc. ( NASDAQ:SMSI).
The Survey Reveals:
- 71 percent of respondents have used a dedicated hotspot device, a smartphone hotspot, or both to connect Wi-Fi devices to the mobile Internet:
- almost half are not frequent users
- more than 25 percent do not pay their carrier for hotspot service, but instead use over-the-top applications to access this feature on their smartphones.
- The majority of hotspot users are heavy data users, yet over two-thirds of light and moderate data users would tap personal hotspot services if their carrier offered a pay-as-you-go pricing model, presenting a revenue opportunity for carriers.
- For nearly one-third of respondents who do not use any form of personal hotspot, privacy concerns (27 percent) and the desire to avoid another wireless contract (21 percent were major contributors to non-usage.
“Over 90 percent of tablets sold in the U.S. are Wi-Fi only, so leveraging a smartphone’s hotspot feature to monetize these devices is a great opportunity for carriers,” said Sunil Marolia, VP, Product Management, Smith Micro. “Our survey results highlight some concerns preventing broader adoption, and significant revenue leakage associated with hotspot service. By making mobile hotspots easier to use, with more flexible business models behind them, operators can better capitalize on the revenue potential of these devices.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts