Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE: JWN) today reported an 11.4 percent increase in same-store sales for January.
Similar to many other retailers, Nordstrom follows the retail 4-5-4 reporting calendar, which included an extra week in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 (the 53 rd week). In the 53 rd week, the company had preliminary total retail sales of approximately $162 million. The 53 rd week is excluded from same-store sales calculations.
Preliminary total retail sales of $951 million for the five week period ended February 2, 2013 increased 38.4 percent compared with total retail sales of $688 million for the four week period ended January 28, 2012. Excluding sales for the 53 rd week, preliminary total retail sales for the four week period ended January 26, 2013 increased 14.9 percent.
Fourth quarter same-store sales increased 6.3 percent compared with the same period in fiscal 2011. Preliminary fourth quarter total retail sales of $3.60 billion increased 13.5 percent compared with total retail sales of $3.17 billion for the same period in fiscal 2011.Fiscal year 2012 same-store sales increased 7.3 percent compared with the same period in fiscal 2011. Preliminary fiscal year 2012 total retail sales of $11.76 billion increased 12.1 percent compared with total retail sales of $10.50 billion for the same period in fiscal 2011. SALES RECORDING To hear Nordstrom’s pre-recorded January sales message, please dial (402) 220-6036 beginning today at 8:40 a.m. EST. This recording will be available for one week. JANUARY SALES RESULTS (unaudited; $ in millions)
|Total Retail Sales||Same-store Sales|
|Excluding||Excludes the 53 rd Week|
|53 rd Week|
|1 53rd week sales are approximately $162 million|
|Number of stores||Jan-13||Jan-12|
|Nordstrom Rack and other||123||108|
|Gross square footage||25,290,000||24,745,000|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV