PLYMOUTH, Mich. and HAMBURG, Germany, Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ROFIN-SINAR Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: RSTI), one of the world's leading developers and manufacturers of high-performance laser beam sources and laser-based solutions, today announced results for its first fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2012.
- First Quarter - Net sales totaled $142.2 million for the first quarter ended December 31, 2012, an 8% increase over the comparable quarter of fiscal year 2012. The strengthening of the US dollar, mainly against the Euro, resulted in a decrease in net sales of $1.6 million in the first quarter. Gross profit totaled $50.1 million, or 35% of net sales, compared to $46.9 million, or 36% of net sales, in the same period of fiscal year 2012. RSTI net income amounted to $8.9 million, or 6% of net sales, compared to $8.1 million, or 6% of net sales, in the comparable quarter last fiscal year. The diluted per share calculation equaled $0.32 for the quarter based upon 28.2 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to the diluted per share calculation of $0.28 based upon 28.8 million weighted-average common shares outstanding for the same period last fiscal year.
SG&A expenses in the amount of $25.2 million represented 18% of net sales and increased by $0.5 million compared to last fiscal year's first quarter. Net R&D expenses increased by $0.5 million to $11.0 million (8% of net sales), compared to $10.5 million (8% of net sales) in the first quarter of fiscal year 2012.Sales of laser products for macro applications increased by 4% to $48.4 million and accounted for 34% of total sales. Sales of lasers for marking and micro applications increased by 6% to $77.0 million and represented 54% of total sales. Sales of components increased by 33% to $16.8 million and represented 12% of total sales. On a geographical basis, revenues in North America decreased slightly by 1%, totaling $26.6 million, whereas net sales increased marginally by 2% in Europe, to $60.4 million, and by 22% in Asia, to $55.2 million. - Backlog -Order entry for the quarter increased by 12% to $137.3 million compared to the first quarter of fiscal year 2012 and resulted in a backlog of $142.1 million as of December 31, 2012, mainly for laser products. As of December 31, 2012, ROFIN-SINAR had a book-to-bill ratio of 0.97 for the first quarter.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts