Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today reported that January 2013 net sales for the five-week period ended February 2, 2013 were $1.13 billion compared with net sales of $833 million for the four-week period ended January 28, 2012. The company’s comparable sales for January 2013 were up 8 percent compared with a 4 percent decrease for January 2012.
In addition, the company reported that net sales for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012, which ended February 2, 2013, were $4.73 billion compared with $4.28 billion for the fourth quarter last year. The company’s comparable sales for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012 were up 5 percent compared with a 4 percent decrease in the fourth quarter last year.
The company noted that fiscal year 2012 had 53 weeks versus 52 weeks in fiscal year 2011. As a result, net sales for January 2013, the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012, and fiscal year 2012 include the additional week, while comparable sales exclude the 53 rd week.
“We’re pleased with the continued momentum in the business across all our brands in North America,” said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc. “As we transition to 2013, our focus remains on delivering compelling product in order to sustain our positive sales performance.”January Comparable Sales Results Comparable sales for January 2013 were as follows:
- Gap North America: positive 8 percent versus negative 5 percent last year
- Banana Republic North America: positive 8 percent versus positive 6 percent last year
- Old Navy North America: positive 12 percent versus negative 6 percent last year
- International: positive 1 percent versus negative 10 percent last year
- Gap North America: positive 4 percent versus negative 3 percent last year
- Banana Republic North America: positive 3 percent versus flat last year
- Old Navy North America: positive 8 percent versus negative 6 percent last year
- International: negative 2 percent versus negative 8 percent last year
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV