Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA), a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions for professional users performing critical tasks, today announced 2012 operating results for the fourth quarter and full year.
- Sales of $753.2 million in the quarter increased $16.6 million, or 2.3%, from 2011 levels; excluding $1.9 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation, organic sales increased 2.5%.
- Operating earnings before financial services of $111.4 million in the quarter improved to 14.8% of sales as compared to $103.8 million, or 14.1% of sales, last year.
- Financial services operating earnings of $29.3 million in the quarter increased $7.2 million from 2011 levels, reflecting the growth of the on-book finance portfolio.
- Consolidated operating earnings of $140.7 million in the quarter improved to 17.7% of revenues (net sales plus financial services revenue) as compared to $125.9 million, or 16.3% of revenues, last year.
- Net earnings of $84.6 million, or $1.43 per diluted share, for the quarter compares with net earnings of $74.3 million, or $1.27 per diluted share, a year ago.
- Full year 2012 sales of $2.94 billion increased 2.9% from 2011 levels; excluding $46.0 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation, organic sales increased 4.6%. Full year 2012 net earnings of $306.1 million, or $5.20 per diluted share, compares with 2011 net earnings of $265.2 million, or $4.52 per diluted share, excluding last year’s $18.0 million pretax ($11.1 million after tax, or $0.19 per diluted share) arbitration settlement gain. Net earnings for the full year 2011, including the arbitration settlement gain, were $276.3 million or $4.71 per diluted share.
“We believe our performance in the fourth quarter of 2012 further confirms Snap-on’s strengths in making work easier for serious professionals performing critical tasks, where the costs and penalties for failure can be high,” said Nick Pinchuk, Snap-on chairman and chief executive officer. “In the fourth quarter and throughout 2012, we continued to progress in those strategic areas of importance that we’ve identified as being decisive to our future, while achieving higher year-over-year sales and operating income despite ongoing macroeconomic and political headwinds impacting specific parts of our business. As we move forward in 2013, we believe we will make continued advancements along our coherent runways for growth and achieve further improvements from our Snap-on Value Creation Processes. Finally, our progress in 2012 would not have been possible without the tremendous contributions and efforts of our franchisees and associates worldwide; I thank them all for their significant commitment and extraordinary dedication.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV