DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford is teaming up with PlugShare ®, an industry-leading aggregator of public charge stations, to provide real-time charge station information to drivers of Ford's all-new plug-in hybrid vehicles – C-MAX Energi and Fusion Energi
- Ford is the only manufacturer to offer real-time charging station location information through its smartphone app, MyFord ® Mobile
- The collaboration will provide Ford customers comprehensive access to the quickly growing number of public charge stations in the U.S. and Canada
- Ford also announced its commitment to the Workplace Charging Challenge with the Department of Energy, which aims to increase the number of U.S. employers offering workplace charging by tenfold in the next five years
- PlugShare.com offers a unique advantage by aggregating publicly available and crowd-sourced information on charging station locations along with photos, reviews and check-ins
Ford's award-winning MyFord Mobile smartphone app and Web portal now features a charging station finder powered by PlugShare.com and will be compatible with the new Ford Fusion Energi and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid vehicles.
PlugShare ® brings a powerful new component to MyFord ® Mobile with its live database of charging stations across North America. In addition to aggregating publicly available lists of stations from a variety of sources, PlugShare incorporates crowd-sourced information from users to provide the most comprehensive dataset available.
"When we launched the MyFord Mobile app and portal for the Focus Electric last year, it was the most advanced remote management app of its kind in the industry," said Bill Frykman, business and product development manager. "We're now expanding availability of the system to drivers of our new plug-in hybrids and offering some unique features specifically tailored to these long-range vehicles."
"It is a little known fact that the majority of charging stations are currently free to use. By giving drivers a clear view of the reality of charging, PlugShare and Ford are showing more and more drivers that now is a great time to start driving on electricity," said Forrest North, CEO of Xatori, maker of PlugShare. "With our real-time, crowd-sourcing features that include photos, reviews and check-ins, PlugShare has quickly become one of the largest and most popular charging station locators in North America. We are thrilled an established industry leader such as Ford has chosen PlugShare for MyFord Mobile."In addition to an EPA-estimated rating of 21 miles of pure electric driving range per charge, both C-MAX Energi and Fusion Energi have an EPA-estimated range of 620 miles on one tank of gas and one charge.