Retailers Score Senate Committee Report On Price Differential An A
TORONTO, Feb. 6, 2013 /CNW/ - Retail Council of Canada (RCC) has awarded an A to the report of the Senate Committee on National Finance examining the price differences between Canada and the U.S., noting that it reflect retailers' cost pressures and offers some good recommendations.
"We thank the Senators involved in this report for their hard work," said Diane J. Brisebois, President and CEO, RCC. "Minister Flaherty mandated the Senate Committee to explore the root causes behind differences in price between Canada and U.S. The Committee's findings illustrate that without change, Canadian retailers will continue to operate at a cost disadvantage."
RCC's report card marks the report on two categories that have significant influence on pricing.
Tariffs - The government's decision in the last budget to increase duty exemptions for cross border shopping has had a very negative impact on Canada's retailers, particularly those in border communities. RCC recommended that the Committee urge the government to expedite its review of the tariff system in Canada in order to minimize the impact of the exemption limit changes.
- SCORE: A. The Committee has recommended the government review tariffs, with "the objective of reducing the price discrepancies for certain products between Canada and the United States".
Country Pricing - Country pricing is practiced by some suppliers who sell identical goods to Canadian retailers at a cost that is highly inflated over what American retailers pay. RCC asked that the Committee set the record straight about the real cause of price differences in Canada.
- SCORE: A. The Committee has clearly acknowledged the reality and negative impact of the practice of country pricing on Canadian retailers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV