Albany International Corp. (NYSE: AIN), a global advanced textiles and materials processing company with core businesses in machine clothing and engineered composites, reported Q4 2012 income from continuing operations of $8.0 million ($0.25 per share). These results include restructuring charges of $0.9 million ($0.02 per share), foreign currency revaluation losses of $4.0 million ($0.08 per share), and net unfavorable income tax adjustments of $0.1 million ($0.01 per share) (see Table 6).
Q4 2011 income from continuing operations was a loss of $10.0 million ($0.32 per share). These results included restructuring charges of $4.9 million ($0.10 per share), foreign currency revaluation gains of $3.5 million ($0.08 per share), and net unfavorable income tax adjustments of $15.6 million ($0.50 per share) (see Table 7).
Net sales from continuing operations were $194.3 million, a decrease of 1.6 percent compared to Q4 2011. The following table summarizes net sales by segment and the effect of changes in currency translation rates:
|Three Months ended||in Currency||excluding|
|(in thousands)||2012||2011||Change||Rates||Rate Effect|
|Machine Clothing (MC)||$||174,295||$||183,218||-4.9||%||($2,161||)||-3.7||%|
|Engineered Composites (AEC)||20,040||14,182||41.3||-||41.3|
Gross profit was $79.0 million (40.6 percent of net sales) in the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to $77.0 million (39.0 percent of net sales) in the same period of 2011. The increase in gross profit percentage was primarily due to results at Machine Clothing, where gross profit margins increased from 42.1 percent in 2011 to 45.0 percent in 2012, reflecting high plant utilization in the Americas, favorable geographic sales mix, and the cumulative effect of restructuring actions taken over the last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV