News Summary: EU Summit To Debate Austerity Budget
By The Associated Press
BUDGET WOES: Wealthy northern member states of the EU are pushing for a harshly pared-down budget for the 27-nation bloc, but the EU parliament says it is ready to reject a deal that curtails spending on growth and employment.
MEMBER DEMANDS: The two-day summit discusses the approximate 1 trillion ($1.35 trillion) budget for the years 2014-2020. Poorer eastern and southern countries want to ensure continued EU financial support.
SETTING PRIORITIES: A senior EU official said some items within the proposed budget will grow, including an effort to combat youth unemployment. Spending on programs meant to ensure future prosperity, such as research and development, education and innovation, will also grow in real terms, the official said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV