Doing Good, Giving Back: SC Johnson Grants And Donations Total $248 Million Since 2000
RACINE, Wis., Feb. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Since 1915 when company founder and first generation leader, Samuel C. Johnson, laid the cornerstone for what is now the Racine YMCA, SC Johnson has worked to set a standard of community leadership through philanthropic efforts. That standard has become part of the company's ongoing commitment to doing the right thing in the communities in which it does business. An expanded section on the company's corporate website, www.scjohnson.com/socialresponsibility highlights these efforts and introduces a new online grant giving tool.
"We are honored to work in so many diverse communities across the globe. With that opportunity, we also have a responsibility to give back and we do it through providing grants, sponsoring student programs and organizing local volunteer efforts," said Kelly M. Semrau, Senior Vice President of Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson. "We're proud to share these impactful stories on our expanded web site and hope that more non-profit organizations access information regarding our grant giving program."
Directly and through its corporate foundation, SC Johnson Giving, Inc., SC Johnson has granted more than $248 million since 2000, to local and global organizations. This includes hundreds of smaller grants every year as well as occasional large grants to support major or multi-year programs. In the last five years, SC Johnson made more than 1,250 small grants to support worthy initiatives.
For example, SC Johnson contributed to:
- Make-A-Wish of Wisconsin, to sponsor its Walk & Run for Wishes event
- Racine Kiwanis, to support renovation of a holiday lights display at the Racine Zoo
- Kenosha Public Museum, to sponsor its Sustainable Shelter exhibit
- Promoting Green Education in Shanghai: Each year, the company presents the SC Johnson Shanghai Youth Awards to deserving students who take part in an event, along with their teachers and other school leaders, showcasing youth environmental protection programs.
- Racine Reads: Dream Big!: In 2011, SC Johnson joined with community partners, including the Racine Public Library to challenge Racine elementary school students to read 1 million books during the school year. The students rose to the challenge and surpassed the goal, reading 1.8 million books. The grand prize for the school that read the most books per students was a $100,000 school library makeover.
- Supporting Education in India : Since 2009, SC Johnson India has been giving back to the local community by helping to provide quality primary education to young girls. By working with an organization that provides the necessary services, SC Johnson sponsors learning centers that focus on poor and disadvantaged communities, particularly in rural areas.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV