Monopoly Fans Vote To Add Cat, Toss Iron Tokens
"Tokens are always a key part of the Monopoly game ... and our fans are very passionate about their tokens," Berkowitz said.
The tokens originated when the niece of game creator Charles Darrow suggested using bracelet charms. The game is based on the streets of Atlantic City, N.J., and has sold more than 275 million units worldwide.
The other tokens currently in use are a race car, shoe, thimble, top hat, wheelbarrow and battleship. Most of the pieces were introduced with the first Parker Brothers iteration of the game in 1935, and the Scottie dog and wheelbarrow were added in the early 1950s.
The original version also included a lantern, purse, cannon and a rocking horse. A horse and rider token was used in the 1950s. During World War II, metal tokens were replaced by wooden ones, because metal was needed for the war effort."I'm sad to see the iron go," Berkowitz said. "Personally, I'm a big fan of the race car so I'm very relieved it was saved but it is sad to see the iron go." The social-media buzz created by the Save Your Token Campaign attracted numerous companies that pushed to protect specific tokens that reflect their products. That includes garden tool maker Ames True Temper Inc., of Camp Hill, Pa., which created a series of online videos in favor of the wheelbarrow, and online shoe retailer Zappos, which pushed to save the shoe, Berkowitz said. Versions of Monopoly with the new token will come out later this year. ___ Monopoly: https://www.hasbro.com/monopoly ___ Rodrique Ngowi can be reached at www.twitter.com/ngowi
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV