- Brush teeth twice a day, for at least two minutes each time. Brushing after breakfast and before bedtime is recommended. To help your child brush for the correct amount of time, try setting an egg timer or listening to a song. It is important to brush all tooth surfaces, including the gums, backs of teeth and even the tongue. Talk to your child's dentist about when to begin using a fluoride toothpaste and fluoride supplements if your community's water supply is not fluoridated. Floss between teeth at least once a day. Flossing helps remove pieces of food that get stuck between teeth and under gums, reaching places your toothbrush can't.
- Establish healthy eating habits for your child. Offer a variety of foods from the five major food groups: fruits, vegetables, dairy, grains and meat/poultry/fish. Avoid sugary beverages, such as soda, juice and sports drinks, and snacks that contain high amounts of sugar. Each time you eat or drink something with sugar, harmful acids attack your teeth for at least twenty minutes. Repeat attacks can lead to tooth decay.
- Visit the dentist every six months for a checkup and professional cleaning. Regular visits will not only help detect possible dental problems in their early stages, but also will help your child feel more comfortable going to the dentist.
- If your child is involved in any contact sport or recreational activity, he or she should always wear a mouthguard. Examples of contact sports include football, field hockey, ice hockey, baseball, basketball, softball, wrestling, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, in-line skating and martial arts.
PDA Reminds Parents About The Importance Of Children's Oral Health
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts