Twitter was aflurry with the rumor making rounds that Apple, which announced a buyback program in early 2012, would be speeding it up. In March 2012, Apple said it would spend $10 billion on a share-repurchase program and initiate a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said it expects to spend $45 billion over the next three years.
Apple couldn't immediately be reached for comment for this story.
3D Systems (DDD) shares rose 4.8% to $65.56 after the 3D-printing company said it would split its stock 3-for-2. On Feb. 22, shareholders as of Feb. 15 will receive one additional share for every two they own. It will be paid in the form of a 50% dividend, and shareholders will receive cash in lieu of fractional shares. The stock will start trading on a split-adjusted basis Feb. 25. "The stock split will increase the market liquidity and broaden our investor base. We are pleased by the confidence that our Board of Directors and shareholders have placed in our ability to provide superior returns and long-term value," CEO Avi Reichental said in a press release.
BlackBerry (BBRY) shares fell 1.1% to $15.85 on reports that initial sales of the BlackBerry Z10 aren't all they've been cracked up to be. BlackBerry has touted that the Z10 is seeing switches from other devices, but some analysts on Wall Street note stores are only being stocked with a handful of devices, as opposed to hundreds or thousands. Canaccord Genuity's Mike Walkley noted that most stores in the U.K., where the device was first launched, received less than 15 units, and were sold over a few days. "Our surveys revealed that while most sales representatives acknowledged the Z10 was a marked improvement versus older BB 7 devices, initial sales were driven by pent-up demand from loyal BlackBerry users," Walkley wrote in his note. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV