Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of $256 million in wireless network enhancements across New England during 2012, increasing the company's regional network investment to more than $3.3 billion since its inception in 2000. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $80 billion over the past 12 years to add new services and increase coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide networks.
Since December 2010, when Verizon Wireless launched its 4G LTE network in the Metro Boston area, the company has aggressively expanded its 4G LTE footprint throughout all six states of New England. In 2012, Verizon Wireless added 4G LTE coverage to 1,000 cell sites throughout New England, providing customers with speeds up to ten times faster than 3G networks.
2012 Verizon Wireless Network Investment Highlights
- May 2012
- Debuted 4G LTE in Vermont, including Burlington and more than 30 additional communities throughout Northern Vermont
- Brought 4G LTE to communities throughout Upper- and Mid-Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- June 2012
- Introduced 4G LTE to more than 20 communities in the Greater Portland, Maine area and seacoast
- July 2012
- August 2012
- Continued to spread the 4G LTE network across Western Massachusetts including 11 Berkshire County communities, 10 communities across the North Shore and surrounding area and five communities in Plymouth County
- Expanded 4G LTE in Vermont including Brattleboro, White River Junction and 14 additional communities, bringing the power of 4G LTE to more than sixty communities throughout the state in a matter of months
- Activated 4G LTE in 22 communities across Southern New Hampshire and the Seacoast
- October 2012
- December 2012
- Activated 4G LTE service within 20 new Western Massachusetts communities and further enhanced an additional 10 communities
- Deployed 4G LTE to nearly 70 cities and towns in the Bangor, Maine Metropolitan Area
- Brought 4G LTE coverage to Lewiston and Auburn, Maine and 26 nearby Vacationland communities
- Launched 4G LTE networks in Keene, New Hampshire and six adjacent Granite State towns
- Introduced 4G LTE service in Lebanon, New Hampshire and eleven additional central/western communities
- Connecticut: Branford, Bristol, Danbury, East Hampton, Farmington, Glastonbury, Greenwich, Lebanon, Ledyard, Milford, Newtown, Niantic, Shelton, Stamford, Winchester, Woodbridge
- Maine: Kennebunk, Wells
- Massachusetts: Abington, Andover, Ashland, Boxborough, Brockton, Chester, Concord, Easton, Harwich, Holyoke, Hudson, Huntington, Methuen, Montgomery, Natick, Norfolk, Oxford, Palmer, Pembroke, Reading, Sudbury, Tolland, Upton, Weston, Weston, Wilmington, Winthrop
- New Hampshire: Bedford, Dunbarton, Exeter, Gilmanton, Goffstown, Hampstead, Hampton, Manchester, Marlborough, Nashua, Newmarket, West Lebanon
- Rhode Island: Bristol, Chepachet, Smithfield, Tiverton, West Greenwich
- Vermont: Castleton, Colchester, Hardwick, Hinesburg, North Hero, Norwich, South Hero, Swanton, Westford
Additional Regional Network Milestones in 2012
- Verizon Wireless was ranked highest among all other national wireless providers in New England in the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Wireless Network Quality Performance Study(SM), Volume 1 and J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Wireless Network Quality Performance Study(SM), Volume 2.
- Verizon Wireless continued to test the quality of the company’s and competitors’ networks using a team of real-life test men, test women and special vehicles to comparatively measure the 4G LTE Verizon Wireless network performance to other carriers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts